Throughout university I have come across countless ignorant, bigoted, Neanderthal's that are living their mundane and monotonous lives in seemingly perpetual misery. This of course is harsh perception of a fellow human being. Some of you judge me immediately for my comments, others, I hope, want to know the source of my frustration and anger, and others again may already know to whom I am referring to.
I will of course tell you. It is individuals, the most opinionated of which I'm afraid to say are often taxi drivers, that insist on imparting their not so thoroughly informed opinions of students and the current education system upon me. They consider students nothing more than spoilt rich kids living off daddies credit card having created their own self contained bubble world devoid of all reality. They presume that the student will flounder and fall upon their first step in the real world. They see the standards of the academic institutions within that bubble as failing despite the worlds constant academic progression. They then proceed to attempt to impart their own self-developed wisdom upon me often sourced through some low budget, misguided, or outdated documentary that they came across through their countless hours in front of that magical box whilst they gorge themselves on microwavable meals and wash them down with a bottle of cheap cider. In this demonstration of knowledge, these persons, incapable of debate, or even the pretence of acknowledging the presence of other arguments, attempt to mock the degree system and those that participate within it. They question the purpose of its presence. Presumably they see man's advancement in taxi driving or benefit fraud rather than intellectual pursuits.
I again have resorted to insults(which may in fact not be far from the truth) to which I kick myself for. I must make it clear that it is not the job that I dislike, or 90percent of those hard working persons that slog within that profession, working hard to feed families, or contented lives. I admire anybody that do their job to the best of their ability, and refrain from developing misguided theories of the world. My rant, I must stress, is aimed at the individuals that make a mockery of the degree which I spent the last three years slogging for. Financially supporting myself through close to full time work as a grill chef and cocktail waiter during term time and roofing during the summer breaks. I slogged physically and mentally for something they either lacked the balls or intelligence to pursue. This rant is aimed at those that live in seemingly perpetual misery, and seem intent on imparting it upon others, or insist on expressing their misguided opinions. I feel there are countless others that have, will, or at this moment is experiencing my frustration, and it is to them with whom I share this.
Education is our future, and university opens countless doors. Not just in the sense that the average graduate will have a starting annual wage of around £22k but in opening the mind to other opportunities and trails of thought, cultures, and societies. But the greatest threat is not the opinionated no body, it is those in power that threaten that education that we love dearly. I am of course referring to those blinded conservatives and their liberal democract lapdogs. But then surely that is an entirely new rant on its own.
No comments:
Post a Comment