So the plan was to advise others on travelling in Eastern Europe, having been lucky enough to have travelled on three epic three month adventures myself. But alas, I got sidetracked. The hypocrisy of the conservatives and their Liberal lapdogs as they single handedly set back Britain thirty years into a two tier system, through financial and social means(I'm particularly pointing to the potential tripling of University tuition fees). I could go on. But that will be for another day. I shall here attempt to tell something of my experience of travelling, so that you get the most out of your trip. As this will be delivered over the next few posts I must first apologise for the perpetually disjointed and incoherent style of blog, which it will likely continue to be.
Point 1. Go on your own.
British travellers often make the mistake of travelling in groups. They go from country to country, or rather from capital to capital getting wasted by night and recovering by day: generally rushing around on the last day taking token photos in front of some of Europe's most magnificent and captivating sights. Items, places, visions, statues, and in general man and natures most momentous achievements in beauty and wonder, and yet they see, but yet they do not see, if you catch my drift. They fail to take the time to attempt to understand the significance of that place, the history behind it, which in some cases, particularly in Eastern Europe in the wake of the Yugoslavian war, is so recent and fragile. So if your intention is to party your way across Europe. Good luck to you, and I mean that sincerely. But do not waste your time reading the rest of this article.
So . . travel on your own. Why? because you loose all restraints. Personal inhibitions. You can reinvent yourself: and you can go where you want to go, on a whim, without compromise. I travelled with another the first time I went, and don't get me wrong I had an amazing time. But I wasn't free. I hope that beautiful person doesn't take insult to that. But I didn't get to loose myself, because I was still connected to who I was back home. This may seem far too philosophical for your taste, but I'm afraid travelling, at least in the way I will recommend, will bring out the inner hippy in you.
Point 2. Stay in Hostels
Ok, so your travelling on your own. But your asking yourself, however long you are going for, won't I get lonely? We are of course social creatures, that crave constant interaction and others to share our experiences with. The answer is no. The first time I went I was equally as apprehensive as you are, but you meet, countless, and I mean countless, for I can not remember half of those which I have met, others which are travelling on their own. It only seems a British phenomena whereby we travel in groups. Perhaps it is our stereotypically reserved nature that retains some hold on us. I'm therefore telling you to break that mould. Stay in hostels because these are prime locations to meet others. My favourite website to find hostels, because you are likely to find them everywhere, even the most obscure places, is hostelworld.com. This site gives, prises ratings and reviews of the hostels in the area you are travelling to. It is yet to fail me.
When you get to those hostels, and this may seem obvious, but just talk to people, sit at the bar, talk to the receptionist, just find the common room area(this is an essential part of the criteria when picking a hostel) and take a book. I can almost guarantee that someone will come and talk to you. Meeting people is the easy bit.
How to pick a hostel.
Well for me, hostels generally went by price. But when in Western Europe always go for one with a kitchen. because its surprising how much food can eat into the budget.
The next point is just check the reviews. Watch out for comments on staff, for this can make or break a trip. And also check out for bed bugs. These little buggers will get into your clothes, rucksack and generally everything. They are difficult to get rid of, and leave some nasty bites. If this happens find your nearest laundrette and wash everything that you can!
Finally go for smaller hostels. These provide you with a much more personal experience. Ten beds is perfect. twenty is good. And anything over that and as a lone traveller you will become but a fly on the wall.
Point 3. Don't Rush yourself
My last point for this evening, before exhaustion takes me, is, as the subtitle suggests, don't rush yourself, and certainly do not make an itinerary. Too many people make the mistake of making an extensive itinerary and rushing from place to place, forcing themselves to compromise on the things that they do see, they do visit. You are in this way also compromising on your whole experience. You could never hope, without living there to totally understand the place which you are visiting, but if you take your time, perhaps take a couple of hours to sit and sip coffee and watch the world go by, you can get a taste of that place, of its beauty and magic. This is not something to be mocked, even if you are right now judging for writing it, for once you get a taste you will be hooked.
Think of it this way if you go to a city, town or village, in the middle of Poland, are you likely to return? The chances are, sad though it is, that you will not. But had you spent more time there, spent enough time to be partially satisfied (for I believe you could never be fully satisfied) at the expense of time in another country, you are likely to go to that other country on another trip.
My next post will advise on living cheaply upon your travels. Places that you can stay for free. Cheap or free transport. And tourist traps that will hit your pocket to depths previously unknown(excuse my drama)
No comments:
Post a Comment